Mercury Toxicity and EDTAChelation
by Dr. Michael W Roth
Mercury is an element that is found naturally in the Earth’s crust and is present in our air, water and quite often in our food. There are several different forms including elemental, inorganic and organic Mercury. All forms are harmful to some extent to humans but some are much more harmful than others. When Mercury is deposited into the soil or oceans certain micro-organisms can interact with Mercury forming methyl-Mercury. Methyl-Mercury is extremely toxic. In fact, it is the most toxic of all non-radioactive metals, and is often found in shell fish, fish and the animals that eat fish, including humans. Virtually everyone is guaranteed daily exposure of this toxic metal due to the practice of putting mercury in dental fillings.
Mercury is an extremely dangerous neuro-toxin that has serious effects on humans when absorbed or ingested and can affect vision, speech, hearing, cause muscle weakness, tremors, emotional changes, insomnia, muscle wasting, twitching, headaches, disturbances in sensations, changes in nerve responses, and impaired cognitive function. Increased exposure may also result in kidney failure, respiratory failure and even death.
Mercury, is being continuously released into our environment from a variety of sources. Coal-fired energy plants that release hundreds of thousands of tons of Mercury each year directly into our environment where it will be carried on the wind and will settle into the soil, are probably the primary source of Mercury exposure. Other contacts points where you might absorb Mercury are fish, shell-fish, animals that eat fish, thermometers, fluorescent light bulbs, dental amalgams, vaccines - including the flu vaccine, and batteries.
What can you do about exposure to Mercury?
There are two things you need to do in relation to Mercury toxicity.
Avoid it as much as possible.
Remove the Mercury that has already absorbed into your body.
Since we are being constantly exposed to heavy metals, including Mercury, on a daily basis, you absolutely have to remove them from your body. The will and do accumulate and cause multiple health problems.
To remove Mercury the chelators DMPS and DMSA are often used but both have serious drawbacks. DMPS has been shown to cause: auto-reactive T-cells, increases in T-suppressor cells, liver toxicity, kidney damage, and stomach ulcers. The FDA has also made both DMPS and DMSA increasingly difficult to acquire.
DMSA has been shown to cause: bone marrow suppression, increases in tumor necrosis factor, liver toxicity, nausea, diarrhea, anorexia, and fatigue.
EDTA, on the other hand, can chelate mercury without any of the side effects associated with DMPS and DMSA, just slower. EDTA makes a very stable bond with mercury. It was previously thought that EDTA could not remove mercury in vivo. This was believed because it had never been seen to show up in the urine on a provocative EDTA challenge test. Under most circumstances mercury bound EDTA, will not come out of the urine. It will, however, come out of the stool (no one thought to look for it there). You can get mercury bound EDTA to come out in the urine by giving a large amount of EDTA over a short period of time but, this is not recommended. The kidneys are very sensitive to mercury.
Calcium Disodium EDTA is considered the most effective agent for removing Mercury and the widest range of toxic heavy metals. Traditionally EDTA has been given by I.V. infusion or with ineffective oral EDTA products. I.V. infusions, while effective, are time consuming and expensive and additional blood tests are often required to make sure your liver and kidneys can handle the additional load. Since it is a very aggressive method, numerous, unpleasant side effects are associated with intravenous infusions of EDTA.
One of the safest, most effective and cost efficient EDTA chelation products on the market today is Dr. Roth’s EZDtox Cream which contains the ideal combination of EDTA and natural carrier oils. EDTA from a transdermal cream is almost 100% absorbed through the dermal layers of the skin and absorbed into the blood stream carrying it through the body. This method of EDTA delivery stays in your system over 4 times longer than EDTA from an I.V. Extra blood tests are also not required when using EZDtox. It costs a fraction of I.V. therapy and also offers higher absorbable dosages than many other EDTA methods.
Dr. Michael Roth is a retired doctor of chiropractic with extensive knowledge and experience in nutrition and health. After running a successful chiropractic office for nearly 15 years, Dr. Roth branched out into peripheral realms of health study to enable him to offer his clients a more complete and overall knowledge base of wellness. With a goal to glorify the Lord, he is dedicated to provide for and educate the public regarding the gaining and maintaining of dynamic health and effective body cleansing. Dr. Roth also developed a unique topical EDTA cream for the safe, gentle and effective removal of toxic chemicals and heavy metals from the body. He can be reached at: email@example.com